JANA HILL, RESUME
1998 to present: publishing to teaching to healthcare.
Focused on cementing a career-life that is steady, secure, and rewarding as I draw on past and present skills: physical therapy, yoga, dementia-care, communications-and-marketing, reporting, research, interviewing.
- Copy editing using Associated Press Style and Chicago Manual of Style.
- Developmental editing: news, magazines, online content.
- Writing: indepth articles and an ability to repackage for online posts.
- Interviewing: experience connecting quickly with interview subjects.
- Management: oversight has included writers as well as volunteers.
- Outreach and marketing: coordinated and promoted meetings as a news editor; promoted and provided ambassador role, for yoga-classes and dementia-care program.
- Contract negotiation: communicated pay-rate, project-scope, deadlines, and other details with freelance clients.
- Timely completion of projects: met deadlines in every writing and editing role.
- Connect with service-receiver (patient, client, student) with use of active listening, respect, and integrity.
- Present complex information in a consumer-friendly voice (writing and teaching).
- Instructing: classes, exercise programs.
From 1998 to the present, I have had ample opportunity to prove my ability to adapt to change. My skills have been fully transferable, as I moved from journalism to marketing, and from teaching-and-assisting to healthcare.
In 1998, I earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism and developed a career in news and magazines. A repetitive stress injury in 2006 led to the opening of my freelance business in 2007, and also led to an interest in both yoga-teaching and physical therapy, as a complementary career-path. In that era, I continued to fine-tune skills in writing and editing, while developing skills in promotion, planning, contract-negotiation, and marketing. I now work part-time as a Physical Therapy Aide, building on a three-year focus on work as a yoga instructor, as well as a nearly two-year focus on program assisting (in a social-model dementia-care program), and management.
EDUCATION: Physical Therapy & Yoga
- 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training, Pacific Yoga in Seattle.
- Coursework in biology, medical terminology, anatomy, physiology. Regular independent-study of anatomy and injury rehabilitation, since 2007.
- Annual yoga-related training starting in 2008, all focused on instructors with anatomy and kinesiology expertise: Theresa Elliott, Taj Yoga of Seattle; Judith Lasater, P.T. and yoga-author; Doug Keller, yoga-author.
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from Western Washington University.
- Writing and editing workshops since 1998: Poynter Institute, Northwest Independent Editors’ Guild, American Medical Writers Association.
April 2018 to present: Exercise Specialist/Physical Therapy Aide. Integrated Rehabilitation Group Physical Therapy (IRGPT), Camano Island
August 2012 to present: Yoga and Pilates Instructor, Bennu Yoga, Camano Island
July 2015 to August 2016: presently on sub list: Yoga Teacher/Marketing Assistant. Stanwood Swim & Fitness
July 2016 to April 2018: Program Assistant (dementia-care), Fitness Instructor, Soft Goods Lead (management). Camano Center, Camano Island
May 2006 to December 2006: Copy editor/Books Section Editor. Skagit Valley Herald, Mount Vernon
April 2003 to May 2006: Assistant Editor. Continuity Publhing, Bellingham
September 1999 to April 2003: Education Writer then promoted to Mill Creek Editor. Enterprise Newspapers, Lynnwood
April 1998 to September 1999: Reporter/Page Designer/Copy Editor. Tribune Newspapers, Snohomish
References available on request.
References available upon request.