JANA HILL, RESUME
1998 to present: from publishing to teaching to healthcare/physical therapy.
Focused on cementing a career-life in physical therapy. Open to utilizing past skills, developed from a background in journalism and communications, as well as several years in yoga-teaching and dementia-care.
From 1998 to the present, I have had ample opportunity to prove my ability to adapt to change, transferring skills from a career in journalism to a career in healthcare. That began with staff positions in news and magazines and transitioned into an era of business-ownership as a writer and editor. As a business-owner, I served multiple clients producing and editing medical-content, and supporting marketing efforts. My career-life shifted again in 2015, after a soft-closure of my business: for three years, I lived a multi-employer experience that included marketing, teaching, program-assisting in dementia-care, and department-management.
Flash back to 1998: I earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism. In 2006, at the top of my journalism career, a repetitive stress injury changed things. That change turned my attention to yoga-teaching and physical therapy: from 2006 to the spring of 2018, I continued to fine-tune skills in writing and editing, while developing skills in promotion, planning, contract-negotiation, and marketing. In 2015, I zeroed-in and emphasized skills in teaching and dementia-care, while supporting all employers with my presence at marketing events.
Now, I work part-time as a Physical Therapy Aide, building on a three-year focus on yoga instruction, as well as a nearly two-year focus on program assisting (dementia-care). Simultaneously, I honed management-skills in a nonprofit setting, staffed by mostly volunteers. I hope to license as a Physical Therapy Assistant in the near future, and will focus my energies on that goal, in 2019.
April 2018 to present: Exercise Specialist/Physical Therapy Aide. Integrated Rehabilitation Group Physical Therapy (IRGPT), Camano Island
August 2012 to present: Yoga and Pilates Instructor, Bennu Yoga, Camano Island
July 2015 to August 2016: Yoga Teacher/Marketing Assistant. Stanwood Swim & Fitness (Remain on sub-list, for yoga-and-Pilates group-fitness program).
July 2016 to April 2018: Program Assistant (dementia-care), Fitness Instructor, Soft Goods Lead (management). Camano Center, Camano Island
May 2006 to December 2006: Copy editor/Books Section Editor. Skagit Valley Herald, Mount Vernon
April 2003 to May 2006: Assistant Editor. Continuity Publhing, Bellingham
September 1999 to April 2003: Education Writer then promoted to Mill Creek Editor. Enterprise Newspapers, Lynnwood
April 1998 to September 1999: Reporter/Page Designer/Copy Editor. Tribune Newspapers, Snohomish
In Physical Therapy & Yoga
- 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training, Pacific Yoga in Seattle. CEC trainings have been continuous.
- Annual yoga-related training starting in 2008, all focused on instructors with anatomy and kinesiology expertise: Theresa Elliott, Taj Yoga of Seattle; Judith Lasater, P.T. and yoga-author; Doug Keller, yoga-author.
- Coursework in biology, medical terminology, anatomy, physiology. Regular independent-study of anatomy and injury rehabilitation, since 2007.
In Writing, Editing, Marketing
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism from Western Washington University.
- Writing and editing workshops since 1998: Poynter Institute, Northwest Independent Editors’ Guild, American Medical Writers Association.
- Independent study of marketing concepts.
- Copy editing using Associated Press Style and Chicago Manual of Style.
- Developmental editing: news, magazines, online content.
- Writing: indepth articles and an ability to repackage for online posts.
- Interviewing: experience connecting quickly with interview subjects.
- Management: oversight has included writers as well as volunteers.
- Outreach and marketing: coordinated and promoted meetings as a news editor; promoted and provided ambassador role, for yoga-classes and dementia-care program.
- Contract negotiation: communicated pay-rate, project-scope, deadlines, and other details with freelance clients.
- Timely completion of projects: met deadlines in every writing and editing role.
- Connect with service-receiver (patient, client, student) with use of active listening, respect, and integrity.
- Present complex information in a consumer-friendly voice (writing and teaching).
- Instructing: classes, exercise programs.
Targeted references available on request.